Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016: Off to a Good Start

My high school basketball coach once said, "If you don't win the first game of the season, you can't win them all." I guess the same thing can be said about biking. If you don't ride the first day of the year, you can't ride them all. With that in mind, I grabbed the bull by the horns Ogre by the grips, and headed out for my first ride of the new year.

IMG_1093
First photo of the year.  Despite the green monster in the foreground, the view was quite nice. It was good to see some blue sky for a change.

IMG_1098
Being that it's January, not a single sign of any other bikes were seen during my entire ride. Everyone else must have been riding in town.

IMG_1101
Even though I live just outside of Duluth, it's still pretty suburban. Most of the roads are paved, so when I finally get to a dirt road lined with snow covered evergreens I just have to stop and take in the beauty of it all. The fact that I just climbed a hill with my heavy* studded tires had nothing to do with it (ok, maybe just a little).

IMG_1102
I ended up with just a bit over 20 miles during my two hour excursion. At this rate I should end up with over 7,000 miles for the year. Seeing as my best mileage year ever was 2,600 that's pretty unlikely, but a man can dream can't he?


*The tires aren't that heavy. I'm just eternally out of shape.

2 comments:

  1. Darin, thanks for the linkage. Happy to see you starting the year with a ride AND a new blog post. Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to see you blogging again. You've inspired me to start posting again too.

      Delete