Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day Ride

In honor of Earth Day I didn't drive to work today. OK, I actually had the day off, so in lieu of a bike commute I went for a pleasure ride instead. The weather wasn't too bad, 40 degrees with a 14 mph wind off the lake. I wasn't too worried about getting rained on as we just put out our rain barrels this morning. I figure if taking studded tires off causes it to snow, getting the rain barrels out would keep me dry.
Halfway into my ride I decided to take a little detour and check out a beaver pond located about a third of a mile down a county logging road.

The water level here always looks to be higher than the road. I'm glad the beavers know what they're doing.

2011-04-22 at 12-36-19
I took a little hike around to the south side to take a closer look.

The road in and out was a little muddy. Luckily someone left lots of broken clay pigeons to give me extra traction. Actually, I went around them. I don't think they would have treated my tires very well.

2011-04-22 at 12-58-38
On my way back home, this little piece of beaver's handiwork caught my eye. This tree was upright just a few days ago.

2011-04-22 at 12-59-27

2011-04-22 at 13-00-28
This pond is about 1 1/2 miles from the first, so I assume it's the work of a different beaver.

Seedlings planted last year in a recent cut area.

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. 
~ John Muir 

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say something but it came out wrong so instead I'll just say:
    cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I spent a good twenty minutes trying to come up with a different title for this post, but every one I thought of just sounded wrong.

    ReplyDelete