Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wisconsin Traverse: Final(ly)

Sorry for the delay on the final trip post. I'm hoping to win the Nobel Prize for laziness. The competition may be fierce, but I think I've got a pretty good shot at it.

Since I ended the trip over a month ago, and since my memory isn't what it used to be, I'm just going to put up some pictures from my favorite part of the trip: The Bearskin State Trail.

Bearskin Trailhead
After paying $4.00 for the daily trail pass, I was off.

Straight and Narrow
The trail runs 18 miles through forests and wetlands along an old railroad grade.

Rest Stop
There are several picnic areas along the way.

Snapper
There's interesting wildlife. (I managed to escape with all my fingers intact)

Curvaceous
There's water.

Beaver Pond Overlook
And more water.

Feeling Like a Train
And to get over all that water, there are many, many bridges.

Monsters
I just couldn't leave Rhinelander without getting a picture with the Hodag.
Does anyone else see a family resemblance?

All in all, the trip went off without a hitch. The only change I think I'll try to make next time will be to lower the mileage between campsites. At 60 miles a day, I felt like I had to rush straight to the next campsite without slowing down to enjoy the trip. Maybe 40-45 miles would be better. That way I could stop more often, and I would probably have enough energy to ride off of my route to see the things I otherwise would have missed.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing us along. The bearskin is one of my favorites also. I try to get there every fall to ride when the leaves and Tamarack are changing colors.

    Thanks for posting up!!
    RL

    ReplyDelete