Sunday, January 1, 2012

1/1

From the Rear
Off to an early start.

From the Front
I succeeded on my second attempt at a self portrait. The first one may show up on the blooper post.

2012-01-01
Taking yet another break. I have such a fat, lazy bike.

Hike a Bike
This was a hike-a-bike spot. Despite having only 3 lbs in the front tire I couldn't hold a straight line through the ATV ruts in the trail. Of course, since the ATV ruts are the trail, I guess I really can't complain.

Straightaway
I found it much easier to maintain forward momentum here.

Just a Little Build Up
This is all I had to show for my efforts, besides the big smile on my face, of course.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are enjoying the fat bike. I sure hope to have one soon. Thanks for the great write-up and the pics...had to have talent for the self portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this post, and will forward it to anyone who tells me they can't ride due to (x), where (x) is some lame reason. Awesome pix and snow ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Despite having only 3 lbs in the front tire I couldn't hold a straight line through the ATV ruts in the trail."

    These bikes are billed as a "go anywhere" bicycle. In reality, they are more of a "go where other bikes can't", but with limitations. Fat bikes will let you go many places you couldn't go before. But ATV ruts with 2" of snow are tough to ride. Six inches of fresh wet snow are impossible to ride on any fat bike. There are limits to what you can ride. A lot of new fat bike owners are going to be a bit disappointed when they head out into that first six inch snowfall and find they can't go anywhere unless they get off and push their bike around. That's the beauty of living here. Lots of packed snowmobile trails.

    ReplyDelete