Sunday, April 22, 2012

30 Days of Biking: Skinny

After 2 years of riding my LHT, I've finally gotten skinny. It's just not the skinny I was hoping for.

Road Alligator
At a little over 5,000 miles, my rear Marathon Supreme bought the farm.
I just ordered a new set of tires on Friday, and was hoping it would last until the new ones came, but it was not to be. It had developed a pretty good sized bulge so I didn't think it would be safe to push my luck with it.
Good news though, Trish still had the original tires that came with her Trucker in the garage, so at least I have something to use until mine arrive later this week.
Bad news, they're only 1.5 inches wide compared to the 2.0 inches that I have come to know and love.

Fatties Fit Fine
This is what a proper tire should look like.

Skinnies Don't
This is not.
Can you say "pinch flat."

Head to Head
It's a miracle I can stay upright.

Overlapping
In a few more days I'll be fat once again.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference in the volume of those two tires. The 2.0 really fills out the fender way more that the 1.5.

    I have a pair of 2.0 Supremes about to go on my LHT. I bought them to get me across the country on my upcoming bike tour. Good to know you got 5,000 miles out of them. Hopefully one pair will go the distance.

    I'm currently running 1.75 Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my LHT. I have at least 5,000 miles on that pair. Maybe another 1 or 2,000 left in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you could cross the country twice on one set. I only got one flat on the rear tire and none on the front. I love the Supremes and could probably get another few thousand miles out of the front tire, but I want something with a little more aggressive tread, so I'm going to replace both.

      Delete